Monday, September 6, 2010

Avatar

As I created my avatar, I found it odd to be making an online "me". What is the purpose of making a digital character that doesn't have the capability to do anything? I assumed my avatar would be created then forgotten. As I continued to think about my avatar, I realized that I have already created and developed a digital identity through my online activity. I began to wonder, is there a disconnection between my avatar self and my physical self? I want my avatar to be a representation of my physical self, but not to replace my identity. As our society becomes more and more enthralled in digital realities and avatars, it is as if our experience begins to lose out. An avatar cannot experience things like humans can in face to face activity. The avatar is much more disconnected and has limited feelings and outlets to express emotion. I think that people attempt to make their avatar much more "alive" than it should be. They become preoccupied with developing an online reality and forget about the real one in which they live in. In that case, the physical self and the avatar self become one, making it difficult to discern what is real and what isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment